Horse floats are a new invention for the transfer of horses. In this floating system, the horse is transferred safely with quality workmanship and a minimum amount of stress.
Horse floats are also called horse trailers. Floating of horses has taken horse transport to a new height. Horse float should be comfortable for the horses. It should be waterproof as well as dustproof.
Floating horses in a horse float save money and time. It reduces the cost of traveling as well as fuel. It also has a room for one person. Once the horses get familiar with the horse float they will ‘never say NO’!
Why horses don’t prefer to go on a horse float?
- Horses are pressurized to go into the horse float.
- The head of the horse may get jammed up in the top cover.
- Windows in horse floats are very small.
- It’s not a natural way for any animal.
- Floats are always dark from the inside, it can frighten the horses.
- They get hurt, if the driver drives the vehicle too fast.
- They can’t see the outside view.
- Rattle trap is always tied on horse legs in a horse float.
How to float your horse easily in a horse float?
- Your horse should be given proper training about entering a horse float.
- Putting a rope on the head of the horse will help.
- Tying one end of the rope to the float and making the horse run in the horse float.
- Push the horse in the horse float by getting behind him.
- By providing feeding material and water in the horse float.
Dangerous tie points for horses in the horse floats:
- When horses are tied too close to the rear of the float.
- When horses are tied to the handle of the personnel door. It may result in pulling back the horse.
- A horse when hooked around the spare wheel may result in pull back.
- A chain used to tie a horse is not strong; it may result in the horse getting underneath while traveling.
- The bum bars should be strong to bear the strength of the horse when they smash its head or legs on the side of the surface.
Care to be taken while driving a horse floats:
- Drive very slowly.
- Put breaks very slowly.
- In traffic always be 30m away from other vehicles.
- Follow all the road and traffic rules.
- While taking turns, be careful.
- Drive straight so that it will not affect the stability of the horses.
Points to be considered before purchasing a new horse float:
- It should be capable of providing all the individual requirements.
- The design of the horse float should be compact and flexible.
- It should be durable and strong.
- Its maintenance cost should be very low.
- It should not vibrate in any situation.
- It should be sealed and painted properly.
- It should make the horse and driver feel comfortable.
- It must have all the standard equipment needed while the transfer of horses.
- It should also gain some value at the time of sale. Thus, the above highlights explain the horse floats. If the horses are trained properly for the floating, they will never say ‘NO’ to horse float floating.
See more: Horse First Aid